Odd that in this day and age, you still can’t completely rely on a smartphone, especially when traveling. Too often on roadtrips or even short trips to the mountains, my phone’s service is kaput. Forget 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi! There had to be a better way, I remember thinking during one of these trips where I couldn’t find a good place to eat.
And there is. Here’s a story roundup of various apps that work when there’s no reception. Read it online at TheStreet.com: “Sans Wi-Fi: Pack the Web and Take it With You.”
- Get Yelp.com and other travel sites offline: Offline Pages Pro for iOS, $9.99; Offline Browser Pro, $2.50
- Watch web videos when DVDs tire: Spool for iOS and Android, free
- Pack an e-Map: MapsWithMe for iOS and Android, free
- Get a guide book: TouristEye, free; Trip Advisor City Guides for iOS and Android, free
- Search for Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi Finder for Android and for iOS, free
- Check your travel plans: TripIt for iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows, free